Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Next Year's Operas

Recently, the director of the University Opera has spoken to me about performing various roles in next year's productions. I was definitely excited about this opportunity and was willing to take on any roles the director was willing to give me. He did in fact give me a couple roles in two of next year's operas. In the fall, University Opera is putting on two of Puccini's one act opera's from 'Il Trittico.' The first being Gianni Schicchi and the second, Suor Angelica. I was fortunate enough to be cast in Suor Angelica, an opera about a nun, her past and her abbey. My role in this opera is The Mistress of the Novices and I do have a few solo lines, which is really great for only being in one previous opera. There will also be one opera in the spring. This opera is 'The Consul' by Gian Carlo Menotti. It's a tragic opera filled with death and struggle. I got the role of Vera Boronel a traveler in the consulate's office. I haven't had much of a chance to research this role, but I'm sure it'll be another great experience for an aspiring singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment